My Story

The chronicle of the journey from infertility, to miscarriage, to finally raising twin girls born in June 2012.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My stupid hair

When I was pregnant, one of the major changes was that I lost about half of my hair.  It fell out at a drastic rate, we broke a vacuum because of the clogs.  I used to have extremely thick hair.  Like Claudia Schiffer thick.  I've always worn it long because if it's not below my shoulders, it just gets really really big, but wearing it long weighs it down so it actually hangs.

After the pregnancy, I've had fairly average hair.  And I haven't been able to figure out a damned thing to do with it.  All of the hair holding devices I own are for extremely thick hair so they just fall out.

I did a video shoot at a hair salon a couple of months ago and when we finished the shoot, I went ahead and got a haircut.  I told her what was up, that I don't know what the hell to do with it now.  So she says "Oh, well you see all of these flyaways on top of your head?  It's growing back.  That's all new hair growth."  Swell.

So here I am, unpregnant for 8 months now, and 50% of the hair on my head is 4 inches in length, and the other 50% is about 15 inches in length.  It feels really weird to run my hand through my hair and have this sudden drop off in thickness about 4 inches out from my head.

I took a picture so you can see that I'm not exaggerating.  From that one lock of hair, my fingers are holding the few strands that survived the pregnancy.  The hundreds of other hairs that stop about 4 inches out are hairs that fell out of my head during the pregnancy and are now growing back.



In other "how my body is now really funky" news - those jeans that I finally outgrew at the end of my pregnancy, that I couldn't button a few days before I lost the girls, yeah, those jeans.  I can now pull them off over my fat butt without unzipping or unbuttoning them.

I guess I really have lost weight.  Yay?

1 comment:

  1. You know, when you are pregnant your hair becomes thicker, and then it falls out, but you do regrow it :) My hair came back in with a kinky twist to it, so some of my hair is curly and the rest straight. Pregnancy does such weird things to your body. The books never tell you this stuff. Like I developed a permanent food aversion to sushi. I didn't eat sushi while I was pregnant, but for some reason ever since I had my daughter the texture of it makes me gag. I love the taste of the stuff, just can't eat it.

    Yeah for weight loss!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts! It makes me feel like I have friends.