My Story

The chronicle of the journey from infertility, to miscarriage, to finally raising twin girls born in June 2012.

Monday, July 18, 2011

My cycle is weird

And once again, our calendar goes wonky! 

The last few months, my cycle has had a fairly predictable cycle.  First time in my life, but being able to predict was kind of awesome. 

So we were expecting a cycle start for July on or near the 28th.  We figured that would make the August cycle undoable cuz I wouldn't be able to lose the weight fast enough to be under the BMI cut off point at the start of that cycle.  So we figured that we would be starting this hullaballoo again at the end of August.

And then I got a mini-period this weekend.  Hmmmmmmm, well, ok.  Not quite what I had planned.  I email my doc with this news and tell him that my weight loss is progressing nicely (officially 4.8lbs this week!  Only 3lbs to go!), and if I need to do a full cycle of BCP before we do the real IVF stuff, let's go ahead and get that going.

He writes back that the clinic just about has the logistics of egg retrievals for fat women hammered out so the weight loss might not be as vital as it was, and yes, let's do a month of BCP. 

So, I'll be starting my month of BCP tomorrow, a period expected mid August, and then we are doing the crazy part of IVF!  Hopefully to confirm a brand new pregnancy the last week of September.

But did you catch that part about the weight loss thing?  It might not be a matter of saying yes or no to a cycle anymore.  But rather the logistics of doing the retrieval within the office, or having to use a hospital facility for another $2,000.  So the stakes on my weight loss have diminished greatly.  If I fail to get under 240lbs, it won't cost me a baby, it will cost me about $2,000. 

This mornings weigh-in, 242.6lbs.  So obviously, I'm gonna go for it.  $2,000 is a lot of money to save and I don't want there to be any chance of them changing their minds.  So I think I have about 4 weeks until I start my next period to lose that last 3lbs.  That is totally doable.

In other news, I consult with the surgeon tomorrow about my gallbladder.  There's a 50/50 chance that I'll be having it removed on Wednesday.  Hey!  That's half a pound right there!  Woot!

On the serious side of the gallbladder thing, if there's a possibility of it becoming infected during a pregnancy, well, potential infection points I can remove from my body before pregnancy, the less fear I'll have during that pregnancy.  I still feel that we're going a little on the crazy side to remove an organ due to a potential issue that we won't ever know if it's actually an issue, but oh well.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like GREAT news!!! Woo Hoo!

    And it is better to remove that gallbladder. From the ppl I know who have had problems w theirs, gallbladders don't improve, it's a matter of 'when' not 'if' you get it removed.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts! It makes me feel like I have friends.