My Story

The chronicle of the journey from infertility, to miscarriage, to finally raising twin girls born in June 2012.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Twin confirmation

While we were pretty much convinced that we had two babies, due to the hormone levels and stuff, we didn't really KNOW this until the 6 week check-up.

And let me tell you, there was no doubt whatsoever at that moment.

As they were putting the ultrasound wand in place, we very clearly saw 2 embryo sacks, even before it was properly positioned.  Absolutely no doubt about that.

Squeeeeee!!  Fear!!!!!!!!

They measured the heartbeats and they were both at 100 beats per minute.

Wait a minute, backup.  They've existed less than a month and they already have heartbeats?  Oh my lordy lordy! 

The fact that they both had heartbeats relieved some of my fear about a miscarriage.  Many pregnancies don't go to their first doctors visits until around week 10 and they come home devastated because there's no heartbeat.  Whatever happens in the next weeks, at one point, both of my babies had heartbeats which told me that they are at least starting out as viable.  That's very reassuring.


Also reassuring, they were almost perfectly even in size. 

Twin A was 3.40mm in size indicating an age of 6 weeks even.  Heartbeat rate of exactly 100bpm.
Twin B was 4.07mm in size indicating an age of 6 weeks and 1 day.  Heartbeat rate of 101.35bpm.

So I went home and started reading up on Vanishing Twin Syndrome.  We told my parents about this but didn't do the facebook announcements and stuff yet because I was still keeping my brain rational that VTS is very common and could definitely happen.  So just because there are 2 today, that doesn't guarantee that there will be 2 at delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts! It makes me feel like I have friends.