My Story

The chronicle of the journey from infertility, to miscarriage, to finally raising twin girls born in June 2012.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

The corner is turning

After our good news doctors appointment, K and I are thinking that we need to start accepting that we have to plan for these children and not just fantasize about them.

We talked last night and we're both pretty much in the same place.  We are being urged forward, but still holding ourselves back.  I think we're going to have to drag ourselves across that initial threshold of acceptance and once we get through that discomfort, we might be able to start enjoying the pregnancy a little bit.

So for the next 2 weeks, we're in dragging mode.  Kind of forcing ourselves to start doing stuff, even though we don't want to do it.  After that, we'll hit 24 weeks, we'll have kind of gone through the work of figuring out WHAT we need to do, and we're hoping that the emotional resistance will be broken down so we can start actually doing it.

Todays achievements - we solidified the names.  We knew we still liked Charlotte, but I wasn't really loving the name Christina anymore.  But K wants both of his girls back so he really wants to stick with Christina.  He rarely expresses an opinion so when he does, I generally go with it.  So we've officially decided that we're sticking with Charlotte and Christina.

We've also decided on middle names but I don't want identity thieves to use the info on this blog to use my girls names and eventual birth date to mess up their finances so I'll keep at least that to myself.

I've called my sister in law and she's sending me lists of what a new mom needs (in her experienced opinion) and what they'll be handing down.  K's parents have asked if they can buy us a double stroller and I'm perfectly happy to accept that as a gift.  That is one of those purchases that I could agonize over forever, trying to factor in every little detail from the size of our car trunk that it will have to fit in, to door size, to maneuverability, etc etc etc.  But if someone gives it to me as a gift, I can simply be grateful and if it's not the perfect choice, it won't bother me too much because I won't be kicking myself that I should have chosen something else.

The maternity clothes I bought have arrived, but only 1 shirt fits.  The rest will have to go back and I'll either get a refund or exchange them for larger sizes.

We were at Fred Meyer today and I got myself a short sleeved shirt that has a snap down front.  It fits me as I am at the moment, so I'm hoping it will fit me after I give birth.  Most of my wardrobe is tshirt style that is just one piece, so it won't really work for breastfeeding.  I'm keeping my eye out for shirts like this with easy boob access and picking them up here and there as I find them.  My mom is also good at sewing so I might go through my wardrobe and see what shirts can be sliced up the middle and given a zipper.

Next things to do - clean out the nursery and take stock of what we've already inherited.  I suspect our first furniture purchase will be a used dresser from somewhere so we can start putting clothes away.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you are moving forward. Can't wait until you decide to post photos of the project before and after. Oh and you have to do that, well okay you don't have to but I'd love to see the transformation, please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to hear you are dragging yourself forward! Like Rebecca said, it would be fun to see the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your double blessing! I just found your blog on Mel's list and wanted to say hi from another twin mommy who has just been through it...all the best for dragging yourself forward..it is hard but we need to do it lol :) Cam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited for you!

    I went through 3 double strollers, not counting a double jogging stroller that was handed down to us. Each of them worked for a different phase, or purchased because one stroller or the other wasn't cutting the mustard for whatever reason. Almost all the moms of twins I know have had bought more than one stroller for that reason. Also, we bought separate umbrella strollers when they were bigger (they're really cheap things) so we could split up and go different directions at the zoo or whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats of moving forward and getting over the hump. I know that for my next pregnancy, my "moving forward" week will happen around 25wks. It's a few weeks past my lost week and after the final battery of tests will be completed.

    Did you name your last twins Charlotte and Christina? My husband and I can't use the name Owen again because I didn't like Owen's name being attached to any other baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on your upcoming arrivals! i love the names! charlotte is a personal fave of my (a family name), and i love that it is coming back in style. good luck with all of the preparations. i hope you have lots of generous friends and family that can help out with the cost. if i could offer any advice, it would be to utilize coupons. i started buying diapers and formula long before my son was born, because that i had coupons that were going to expire. it saved us a lot of money and helped spread out the costs. anyway, good luck and congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts! It makes me feel like I have friends.