My Story

The chronicle of the journey from infertility, to miscarriage, to finally raising twin girls born in June 2012.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baby Shower

I had my baby shower last week and it was lovely!

The evening before and on my way there, I was a complete and total mess.  All sorts of crying.  I think I was just in shock that not only do I actually get to have this life experience, but it's going to be at a house and not a hospital room like a normal pregnancy.

Once we got there, it took me a minute to pull myself together and things went great from there.  K came with me.  Yeah, I know, a man at the shower!  How scandalous!  But I'm really uncomfortable in public settings, especially the thought of being the center of attention, and it was a 45 minute drive.  We're very aware that I can go into labor at any minute by this point so we're doing a bit of a co-dependent thing and just sticking near each other.  So he was there to help with presents and to take a little of the pressure off me to be charming.  We gave him the title of "food fetcher" so I could just keep myself in the comfy chair.

My aunt hosted a really good gathering for me.  I'm not a game person so the games were kept to a minimum.  We played the guess how many M&M's in the bottle game and I won!  Only off by 2!  Not bad for a chick who failed algebra the first time around eh?

Everyone had a lovely lunch and I got to chat with a couple of cousins that I don't get updated on very often.  The weather could not have been more beautiful and my aunts house has a yard that's like on the edge of a cliff over the water.  Just one of those incredible views.  Sorry, no picture of that.

Then we went inside and opened presents.  Ok, K opened the presents.  I had a baby wedged in my pelvis so I couldn't really sit up and had to do the half lounge in the chair where you look like you're about to slip to the floor or something.

I'm very grateful for the generosity of my family.  I got a mix of cute and practical stuff, from a breast milk storage kit, 6 months of cloth diapering service (!), to matching outfits and a bouncy chair.  Since I won't buy matching outfits myself, I'll show you what matching outfits I do have now, courtesy of my cousins of cuteness.



Hard to see but those are jeans with those little tops. 
And while my in-laws couldn't be there (they will be visiting in July) they sent us the Cadillac of double strollers.



After all the gifts, there was cake, more chatting, and then the afternoon drew to a close.  It was a great afternoon, I didn't feel awkward like I had feared, and I managed not to cry in front of everybody.  Win!

Again, I'm very grateful to come from a family that has both the means and inclination to give so generously.  I realize how very lucky I am and if it was something I could spread around to everyone, I certainly would.  I'm very fortunate to have a village who wish to help me with this adventure in so many ways.

4 comments:

  1. Aww the outfits are so cute. Glad that you enjoyed your shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun! Glad you had a great time! The outfits are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts! It makes me feel like I have friends.