My Story

The chronicle of the journey from infertility, to miscarriage, to finally raising twin girls born in June 2012.

Monday, February 17, 2014

We're not sleeping well lately

Having a rough couple of weeks on the sleeping front.

Every night it seems that one of the girls will randomly wake up very upset for no apparent reason at all hours.  It doesn't take much to get them back to sleep, but it's really disrupting our sleep.  I think it's second year molars or something making them randomly cranky and difficult to console.

There are even days when I think they may be sleeping too much like a couple of days ago when I finally had to wake them up at 11:30am!  We woke them up around 10am this morning to try to move them back to a normal schedule but days that we wake them up are simply never good days.  They don't like being woken up and just stay pissy all day.  Teeny Tiny is still wanting really long afternoon naps and it's still a crap shoot as to whether Middie Biddie will nap at all.

Last night, Middie Biddie threw major tantrums.  She initially fell asleep shortly after bedtime at 7:30pm but woke up within less than an hour crying like crazy.  We did a diaper change then sang her song and put her back down but she was having none of it.  We tried to cry it out but after 45 minutes, she wasn't any closer to done so I went in and rocked her to sleep for about 30 minutes.  Then I put her down but stayed and hummed and shhh'd for another 20 minutes or so.  I couldn't see a darn thing so I figured she must have fallen back to sleep, but as soon as I opened the door to sneak out, she started screaming again.  K could see her on the monitor (night vision) and during all that time I was quietly sitting there, she wasn't lying down, she was sitting up and watching me.  Since we had tried all else, we had to really let her cry it out and it didn't end until about 11pm.  She's exhausted and cranky today.

Teeny Tiny has had some nights where she's waking up around midnight.  Then the other day she woke up around 7am and I pulled her into bed with me (K had left for work already).  That was actually really nice for about 45 minutes when she decided she wanted back into her own bed.

And just for good measure, the cats have been obnoxious.  We think their food spoiled or something because all of them have been barfing far more than usual.  It's been awful cleaning up copious amounts of cat vomit throughout the day, but then we hear it in the middle of the night followed by the scratching to try to bury it, ugh.  I always try to get up and clean it when I hear it happening, even at 3am because I don't want to find it by stepping in it the following morning.  We've replaced their food so I'm hoping that bump in the road is over.

So yeah, between cats barfing and babies crying, we haven't had a solid nights sleep around here in a week or two.  We're feeling pretty run down.  K thinks he may be coming down with something.  I'm getting cabin fever because it's too gross outside to take the girls anywhere to run around and with Middie Biddie now getting car sick, there aren't a whole lot of indoor activities that are worth cost and potential vomit clean up.  As each day goes on, I'm tired and unmotivated to do a whole lot.  I'm hoping we'll have more interesting lives when spring gets here.

3 comments:

  1. Misery loves company? I'm with you on the disrupted sleep. My son used to sleep through the night (after he got over the infant no sleep syndrome!).... but then he started teething and he started waking up every three hours... and for some reason this disruptive pattern is worse than the infant no sleep. Maybe it's just because I'm still in the midst of it with him. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cat's food spoiled? Dry food or wet? Hoping that your daughters soon get back to a normal sleep schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our sleep is very disrupted as well. We did sleep training. They slept finally!!! But then they started getting their canines and sleep is interrupted again... I swear I have the worst teethers ever!!!! Its so much easier to do this SAHM stuff when you get some sleep isn't it?! I hope things start to shape up for you! Whining/crying babies are the worst. Good luck mama!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts! It makes me feel like I have friends.