My Story

The chronicle of the journey from infertility, to miscarriage, to finally raising twin girls born in June 2012.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Back Pedaling

So day 2 of the great one nap experiment and it's over.

By 10:15am they were starting to get cranky so we gave them snacks.  That entertained them for a few minutes but Teeny Tiny was getting that mile long stare.  By 11am, the cranky was out in full force, Teeny Tiny rubbing her poor exhausted eyes and Middie Biddie getting in on the whining action.  Basically both of them were pissed off and wanted to go to bed.

K normally takes forever to give his opinion.  It's one of the few things that bugs me about him.  I ask him something, and it's a full 1 or 2 minutes of silence before he answers.  So as they were cranking out, I asked him "screw the one nap, put them down now?" and before I had the question fully out there he enthusiastically shouted "yes!"

The old method may not have been perfect but 3 out of 4 members of the household were damned happy using it.  Middie Biddie would have her moments of annoyance with it, but was content for the most part.  So it just makes sense to continue with what makes 3 out of 4 happy rather than what's making 4 out of 4 miserable.

They probably just need a more gentle transition to the new schedule.  So I think we'll go back to letting them take their first nap whenever they want, then having crib time around 4pm and start limiting how long that quiet time is allowed to last regardless of sleep status.  I guess we'll just spend the next month gently pushing the morning nap a wee bit later and shortening the afternoon quiet time until they consolidate naturally into one nap.

Now that I've tried keeping them awake more during the day to interact with us, I feel much less guilt about them having potentially too much crib time.  They were NOT happy about being interactive and playing in the play rooms for that much of the day.  Now I can let them have their crib time and feel confident that it's as much about their happiness as it is for mine.  At least for another few weeks anyway.  These things are constantly changing!


  1. When we made the switch, we found it better to be out of the house during the morning nap time. Mall, playground, etc. They handled the crankies so much better when they were distracted by the outside world. We'd try to eat lunch out early and then bring them home for naps. Sometimes they would fall asleep in the car but we'd wake them and transition them to their rooms. Good luck!

  2. We are in the process of making the switch from 2 to 1 nap. I'm pushing both naps later and eventually plan to stop doing the second nap. Although, we had one nap today starting at 10:30am (until 12:30pm) and now they are in for their second nap starting at 4:30, and Banana is refusing to sleep (and being very vocal about it). So I think this transition will happen faster than I thought.

    I plan to start taking walks during one of their former nap times, I haven't decided if it will be an afternoon walk or a morning walk. I'm leaning towards afternoon walk so I don't mind if they fall asleep in the stroller. This morning I took them to a music class during their usual nap time, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

    When we transitioned to 2 naps we were at the time taking 4 naps. We went from 4 to 3 naps in one week. Then 3 to 2 naps in a couple of days. So it took about 2 weeks to take out two naps. And we definitely walked during the nap times of the nap we were dropping (does that make sense) until the naps just disappeared altogether. I'm hoping to do that again! And before the weather gets too cold!!!

  3. I was inspired by your post to try it at my house, for about two hours. Then my son got cranky, I got exhausted (I nap with them because I work at night while they are sleeping), and I am not trying again for awhile.

  4. We are in the process of transitioning to one nap. I wake them up between 630 & 645. They were going down for am nap anywhere from 10 to 11 so I decided let's push it to 11 all the time they sleep for 1.5-2 hours eat lunch. Sonetimes they fall asleep in the car in the afternoon around 4 and sleep for 30 min but most days they are awake until 730 bedtime. Where I'm having trouble is with them eating lunch so late. But from the sounds of things this is normal.
    I think you need more transition. Gradually put them down later and later. I think your first day was perfect. Each week or day you make them go a little longer. Good Luck!!


Please share your thoughts! It makes me feel like I have friends.