However, the girls have been demonstrating some major learning leaps. Middie Biddie's language is exploding. A few things they've learned this week -
- Teeny Tiny will follow the directions from the TV. When the squirrels hide the acorn, she knows to clap her hands when the one searching gets close to it, even without being reminded by the TV character to do so.
- Middie Biddie now calls any plate of food "eggies". Mostly because that's almost always what they eat when they get up from their nap and I when I get them up, I'll say something like "it's time to have eggies and then we'll play".
- For diaper changes, we've been using a spare phone to keep them occupied so they won't fight us. Believe me, they usually win the fight, so anything to keep them happy and lying still! On the spare phone, we've downloaded My Singing Monsters and the most prominent sound is the white monster singing "bum, bu bum....buuuuum bu bummmm". Middie Biddie now says "bom bom" when we head for the diaper changing station.
- Middie Biddie has also learned to say "down" when we're playing physical games where I lift her up and then drop her down. She'll climb into the couch, stand up, and then drop to her butt saying "down". She's quite pleased with herself when she does this.
- Teeny Tiny now taps on counting books because we will tap and count things when reading them.
- Middie Biddie gives kisses! She used to just kind of bow her head if you were looking at her and asked for a kiss (we're more of a cheek or forehead kissing household), but now she's participating in the kiss exchange!
- Teeny Tiny is fully waving bye bye and understands that it means goodbye.
- Middie Biddie is saying "ah da!", also known as "all done", but usually she's only repeating after me rather than communicating her own thought.
- Today, Middie Biddie said a sentence! Watching the peekaboo show, she kept telling the character "I see you!" This is the first time she's said something in context without it being repeating what someone else prompted her to say. I captured a minute of this on video.
So there we have it. "Bom bom" means diaper change, "eggies" means plate of food, and "down" or sometimes "upda" as in "up/down" means she wants to be lifted and manhandled around.